[cairo] glitz problems
Rob Buis
2005-08-15 16:10:55 UTC

I wanted to try glitz out yesterday, but quickly ran into problems.
What I tried was this :

- start with cairo cvs code.
- use the cairo-pattern-040331 patch on it.
- compile this, install it.
- get glitz code from cvs.
- configure indicates glx -> yes, agl -> no.
- compile this, install it.

Now, when I tried cairo-demos-shading-glx I run into problems at
linking time, with undefined references in glitz-glx. I have the cairo,
glitz and glitz-glx libraries installed on the system (/usr/local/lib).

Did I miss some steps? What would be a nice recipe to try out glitz?
Cheers,

Rob.
David Reveman
2005-08-15 16:10:55 UTC
Post by Rob Buis
Hi,
I wanted to try glitz out yesterday, but quickly ran into problems.
- start with cairo cvs code.
- use the cairo-pattern-040331 patch on it.
- compile this, install it.
- get glitz code from cvs.
- configure indicates glx -> yes, agl -> no.
- compile this, install it.
Now, when I tried cairo-demos-shading-glx I run into problems at
linking time, with undefined references in glitz-glx. I have the cairo,
glitz and glitz-glx libraries installed on the system (/usr/local/lib).
Did I miss some steps? What would be a nice recipe to try out glitz?
Cheers,
You must use both the cairo-pattern patch and the cairo-gl patch.

If this is what you've done, which references does it say are undefined?
What output do you get from 'pkg-config --libs glitz-glx'?

Seems a bit weird as I use -no-undefined with libtool for glitz-glx so
it should complain when compiling glitz-glx, if undefined references
exists.

- David
David Reveman <***@cs.umu.se>
Rob Buis
2005-08-15 16:10:55 UTC
Hi David,
Post by David Reveman
Post by Rob Buis
Did I miss some steps? What would be a nice recipe to try out glitz?
Cheers,
You must use both the cairo-pattern patch and the cairo-gl patch.
Aha, I somehow overlooked the cairo-gl patch :}
I will retry my attempt later, thnx a lot for this hint.
Cheers,

Rob.
Vladimir Vukicevic
2005-08-15 16:10:55 UTC
Post by David Reveman
You must use both the cairo-pattern patch and the cairo-gl patch.
If this is what you've done, which references does it say are undefined?
What output do you get from 'pkg-config --libs glitz-glx'?
Seems a bit weird as I use -no-undefined with libtool for glitz-glx so
it should complain when compiling glitz-glx, if undefined references
exists.
- David
I just ran into the same problem; glitzint.h uses its __internal_linkage
macro to set a number of functions in libglitz.so as hidden, but
libglitz-glx.so depends on some of those functions. #define'ing
__internal_linkage to nothing resulted in a clean build of the demos
with no linking problems.

- Vlad
Rob Buis
2005-08-15 16:10:55 UTC
Post by Vladimir Vukicevic
I just ran into the same problem; glitzint.h uses its __internal_linkage
macro to set a number of functions in libglitz.so as hidden, but
libglitz-glx.so depends on some of those functions. #define'ing
__internal_linkage to nothing resulted in a clean build of the demos
with no linking problems.
Good, I feared I was the only one :}
I did roughly the same as Vladimir did. I used gcc 3.3 btw.
I then tried cairo-demos-shading-glx but I got this :

Couldn't find a usable GLITZ format

I seem to get currently maximum of 16 planes on my laptop according to xdpyinfo. Is
there a compatible format using glitz?
Cheers,

Rob.
David Reveman
2005-08-15 16:10:55 UTC
Post by Vladimir Vukicevic
I just ran into the same problem; glitzint.h uses its __internal_linkage
macro to set a number of functions in libglitz.so as hidden, but
libglitz-glx.so depends on some of those functions. #define'ing
__internal_linkage to nothing resulted in a clean build of the demos
with no linking problems.
oops, I didn't think of that when I was splitting up the backends into
different libraries. I'll fix it as soon as possible.

thanks for finding the problem.

hmm, I wonder why it works on all the systems that I've tested it on.

- David
David Reveman <***@cs.umu.se>
David Reveman
2005-08-15 16:10:55 UTC
Post by Vladimir Vukicevic
I just ran into the same problem; glitzint.h uses its __internal_linkage
macro to set a number of functions in libglitz.so as hidden, but
libglitz-glx.so depends on some of those functions. #define'ing
__internal_linkage to nothing resulted in a clean build of the demos
with no linking problems.
The functions used by the backend libraries should no longer be hidden.
Please check out current CVS version of glitz and check if it works.

I'm using gcc 3.2 and 3.3 is needed for the __internal_linkage macro, so
I haven't been able to validate the changes.

- David
--
David Reveman <***@cs.umu.se>